Saturday, February 26, 2011

Judson

Thompson side:


Did I ever tell you I lived in Judson Church? Well not really, but the part next to the church that's now the King James I center for Spanish Studies (I think that's what it's called) used to be an NYU dorm. I was there the last time it was used as a dorm before it was gutted and refitted for the benefit of Spain (That's Spain with a th, of course).

I forgot if I mentioned that it was the summer of 1991 and brutally hot and that my room was only slightly larger than my twin bed, but I had a terrace (actually the roof of the floor below me, my room was recessed) bigger than most studio apartments. I just did a search on the site and no, I didn't tell you all those things. So I didn't tell you about how I decked it out with lawn chairs and how I slept outside, waking up on a towel on the tar with the heat just beginning to shimmer upwards. I didn't tell you about my days off where I liked nothing more than to open up a cold Budweiser at 10am and look out over Washington Square Park. I had a great view of the bathroom. I never told you that I heard the police beating a homeless man in the park in the middle of the night. He was screaming out in pain, begging for help. I didn't even think to record the audio with my brand new video camera. I just listened with my deaf ears.

I feel sicker now than I did 20 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment