Saturday, January 22, 2011

Liberty

Can be found in Jersey City:


You know, when you really consider it, Rigoletto is really a brutal, brutal opera. I mean, the music is beautiful, and it has one of the most recognized arias in all of opera (and one of the most sexist politically incorrect ones at that, yet people forgive misogyny if there's a good tune behind it), but wow...that poor bastard. Whoever thought this would go over? That last statement shows you what kind of judgement I have when it comes to gaging the public's taste when it comes to art.

I mention Rigoletto since I'm listening to the live broadcast right now. It's amazing how every number is a hit. There isn't a single moment that isn't palatable to anybody without even the slightest inclination towards music that doesn't involve trashcans being banged together. As you can see, I'm not in the business of heavy duty musical analysis. I'd rather just lie back (lay back?) and listen...

Ah, la maledizione!

No comments:

Post a Comment