Saturday, January 1, 2011

Woolworth Dominating

Over an empty lot:


It was once the tallest building in the world, you know.

I have another artifact here. It's something I acquired New Year's Day, 18 years ago, in the same company I had spend the previous night with. We decided to look at the city from the highest point possible that you could back then. I think it was the last time I was ever up there.

I don't remember if I took the sign before or after we went up. I just ripped it off the wall, since there was nothing about stealing signs on the sign. The things it said you couldn't do struck me as funny:

No person shall spit, urinate, or defecate other than in a urinal or toilet intended for that purpose.

That's no fun. Here's another one:

No person shall make any objectionable or disturbing noises.

I'd say "objectionable" and "disturbing" are subjective, and I don't know who exactly is making those judgements.

The sign didn't really gain any gravitas until after it all went down (yes, quite literally). Then I realized I had more than just a souvenir I swiped off a wall, maybe my last act of public vandalism (not that I was ever much of a vandal to begin with). Though I suppose when they finish construction, they might have use for it again. Until then, I'll just hang onto it:

No comments:

Post a Comment