Monday, August 30, 2010

HP TEL

On Greenwich Ave:


I don't know if the fireboxes even work anymore. I think I heard sometime back that they were going to slowly get rid of them, now that they've been made obsolete by the proliferation of cell phones. However, I have seen a lot of people using pay phones lately, and I don't even think they're all drug dealers or people calling drug dealers.

Do drug dealers still have beepers? I mean, not that I'd know about that sort of thing, but these are the kinds of things you hear after living in NYC for 18 years.

The latest song obsession is Beyond and Before by Yes. It's the first song of their debut, eponymous (ooh, what a big word!) album. Or maybe I just like it because it starts out with a solo bass guitar, like Chris Squire was stamping the fact that Yes was his band.

Masquerading leaves of blue
Run circles round the morning dew
Patterns understood by you
Reaching out beyond and before


Though right now I'm listening to Bach (my all-time favorite composer), Six Sonatas for Violin and Harpsichord. Glenn Gould on the keys (my all-time favorite piano player. yes, I am a Gould person), and Jaime Laredo on violin. Later on the CD there's a sonata featuring Leonard Rose on the Viola, who was Yo-Yo Ma's mentor.

In The Salmon of Doubt, the collection of posthumous writings by Douglas Adams (who I actually met once), he wrote that it was his belief that J.S. Bach was the single greatest genius to ever live on this here earth.

I'm inclined to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment