Monday, December 28, 2009

Mustard


I recognized him immediately. I was, as usual, using Washington Square Park as a proving ground. In this case, for the Kodak No.2 Folding Autographic Brownie which I had given a fresh cleaning inside and out. Of course, I wasn't without my Yashmat either. So anyways...

He walked right by me, and I knew I had to act fast. Was it really him? Should I really try to get his attention? "MUSTARD!" I shouted.

He kept on walking at the same pace. Maybe he didn't hear me. Then he stopped and turned around. It was him alright. As he walked towards me I extended my hand and said, "I heard you on the radio, I've seen the video. It's great."

In case you're not already familiar, allow me to explain...

A few weeks earlier, Mustard appeared on the Opie and Anthony radio show on Sirius/XM (Sirius 197, XM 202). He was to be part of what turned out to be their ill-fated 2009 "Homeless Shopping Spree." It's a grand tradition they have of unleashing the homeless on an unsuspecting local mall with money to burn. Charity and hilarity ensue. Long story short, it didn't go off this year. However, Mustard made an impression on the bbbbboys, especially after they gave him a guitar and he sang Radiohead's "Creep." He also did some equally impressive original material. You can see the Creep video here. So back to the story...

"You saw me on the radio," Mustard said. "Take a picture?"

Happily I now didn't need to actually ask him and I took four shots. This was the first one, and I think the best. I kept saying to him over and over again how I hoped it all works out for him. "They're going to record me," he said, which is true, since Opie has pretty much appointed himself in charge of the Mustard project (and maybe he'll one day take 13-year old Gary to that Islanders game. LingerLonger!). Though I know there is a definite push to get Mustard on "America's Got Talent."

He hasn't got a home, but he's got hope. I think he had it even before Keith the Cop brought him into the radio studio, but now he's got just a little bit more to continue forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment