Thursday, March 25, 2010

Getting the Brush

As awesome as the Kodak Medalist is, unfortunately it's saddled with a fixed 100mm lens. I mean, that's great for a lot of things, but when you see a dog getting brushed and making all sorts of faces, you just wish you could zoom in a little:


Or you can always just post a detail:


Of course, the little feller (or miss feller) was making more exciting faces earlier on, but it reminds me of something I've been thinking a lot about lately, and something that I might have even written about somewhere in this blog. Say, I'm not only possibly repeating myself, but I'm even repeating myself when I say that I'm repeating myself!

So anyways, I was having a discussion with someone last week about the merits of film vs. digital, and they said that even though they're film born and bred, they recently went on a trip with a digital camera and felt the better for it because, "I would have missed so many moments if I had film."

It's only yesterday that I remembered that I had this same conversation with someone else a while back, who was worried about missing "moments." I think the idea of having to capture every moment can become an obsession or even a sickness. Having been out on the street with film for almost a year now, I've come to accept that you're always going to miss moments. But I've also learned that for every missed moment, there's always another one coming.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did write about this very thing on this site, but way way back, so if you feel like searching through 200+ posts and reading each one to figure out if this opinion is a rerun of sorts, well, you have a greater stomach for it than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment