Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Exterminator


I don't know where I should start the self-flagellation. Should I start with the fact that I had a really nice conversation, and then forgot this person's name, or should I start with the compositional deficiencies of the photo. I'll just start at the start in starts and fits.

After I got the YashMat, I was thinking that maybe I should get another one, just in case it broke and needed parts. Ebay solved that problem in a timely and economical fashion. So for the past few months I've had this other YashMat just sitting around, waiting to be dissected in case anything should have happened to Number One Son. After a while, I figured "what the hell," and decided to get the second YashMat fixed up. Now let's jump to the action.

I had just gotten the YashMat 2EB (Electric Boogaloo) back from its tuneup and was ready to start shooting. I was kneeling on the sidewalk loading some film when the above gentleman started to ask me questions about the camera, and spoke about a friend of his who is also into photography. He also said that

I felt flustered and rushed. I think part of it was that I was using this "new" camera for the first time, and it's actually not an exact clone of Number One Son. The shutter speeds are totally different. Okay, I won't bore you with those details. I think maybe part of it was that I was talking to someone who was on the job, and I don't want to hold up anybody any more than need be as they go about their day.

Maybe it all made me feel just a little uncomfortable. Not because of him (again, I'm sorry I forgot your name!), not at all. But...I don't know. He asked me if I wanted him to do anything for the shot. Immediately, I knew I wanted him to be holding his equipment (which is barely visible in the bottom left-hand corner. But...shyness...something...that lack of killer instinct just to be able to ask, "could you hold your equipment, I think that would look great..." I have to get over that. I think him centered holding the equipment would have looked much better.

I think I also have to start writing people's names down after they tell me.

I have a terrific headache...

No comments:

Post a Comment