Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Once Upon A Time...

It's a nice little scene, right? It's looking into Central Park from CPW, maybe in the 90s or 80s. I don't remember where exactly:



IT'S OVER, JOHNNY:
I finally did it. I killed my scanner.

Today I went to my local around the corner independent Apple repair shop/store and got some of that fancy compressed air in a bottle with the little red straw taped to the side. I got home, inserted the straw into the hole above the trigger, took off the top of the scanner, removed the middle insert and pushed the red straw through the access holes (what I'm calling them) so I could blow air directly onto the other side of the glass.

Well....apparently I wasn't paying too close attention to the instructions on the bottle that said something about not tilting it more than 45 degrees. So all of that super-cold fluid propellant stuff came gushing out and onto the glass. Even though it evaporated, the damage has been done. The scanner, she is finished. C'est fin.

So...now I definitely have to get a new scanner. And with all the choices I'm faced with, I'm going to stick with the same model, the Hewlett-Packard G4050. I mean, why fix something if it ain't broke? Come to think of it I tried to fix something that wasn't quite broken, just a little dirty on the inside and then went on to not quite break it but render it useless for my purposes, so I guess why replace it with something else when I can get the same thing and know what to expect (I hope. Please god I hope...).

No comments:

Post a Comment