Friday, May 7, 2010

Typical Shot

I think this is the ultimate in DUMBO hipsterism, but I guess I'm a sucker when it comes to the obvious:


I remember when they first started calling it DUMBO. Thus began the neighborhoodization of NYC by the real estate mongers. Going beyond just the traditional names for neighborhoods, they had to invent stranger names to sell them apartment. SOuth of HOuston was around for a long time, though I can't say when it first got that name. Then there was the TRIangle BElow CAnal. Then by 1995 I started hearing about Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass.

Then somewhere in there came NOrth of HOuston. And since that was too encompassing, NOorth of LIttle ITAly was chiseled off into independence. Though what really gave me douche chills was when I heard about (the) MEatPAcking District.

And this doesn't even cover things like them calling Hell's Kitchen "Clinton," or trying to rebrand Bushwick as "East Williamsburg."

I have a little name for my neighborhood, my block, hell, just my apartment, but I'm keeping that to myself. Well, until I plan to develop...

1 comment: