Friday, July 16, 2010

Mayor Bloomberg is a CUNT

You may wonder why I gave this photograph the above title when it clearly has nothing to do with what said title is suggesting. It's just a shot outside of Bloomingdale's on a weekday:


Well, it's not so much of a title than an emotional outburst, and perhaps a childish one at that. Yet I stand by my statement. I don't know if I want to get into the whole thing here, but basically, the lives of a lot of artists that depend on their usual places to sell their wares and make their livings are going to change drastically on Monday. He's gotten his way. He's successfully culled the amount of artists that have been setting up in various parks around the city for YEARS. An injunction hearing was held last week, and this evening news came that the injunction was rejected. So now a lot of people's livelihoods are about to change. I could go on, but I've spilled enough ire onto the computer for one night. Today is a sad day for free expression in this city.

I should probably consider this in evolutionary terms.

The environment (or niche) that the artists have been living in has been altered. Now the artists can either go off and find a new niche, adapt, or go extinct. The last one is not an option. The first two will take some figuring out. But the one thing I've been saying all along is that the artists of NYC will find a way, Bloomberg or no Bloomberg.

There is hope. In all the previous lawsuits brought against the city by the artists, the city has lost, even when an injunction was denied. Though I have no idea how long this next bit of legal wrangling will take, and who knows how the artists will cope in the meantime. There's going to be strange times ahead.

But I repeat, the artists will find a way.

They have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment